The University of the Virgin Islands (UVI) unveiled its Comprehensive Student Financial Support Initiative at a Virtual Student Forum presenting plans to forgive student debt and introduce several major financial supports for its students. This effort was developed by the University to assist students in pursuing their education during the COVID-19 Pandemic. The initiative will be funded through the U.S. Department of Education’s COVID Relief fund and by UVI.
READ THE FULL PRESS RELEASE HERE.
5 Pillar Plan
- UVI will eliminate all outstanding student obligations to the University that have been incurred since the Spring semester of 2020 through the end of the Summer session 2021. (Outstanding balances will be wiped out, removing your financial burden so you can focus on studies and get a fresh start)
- In appreciation to those students whose tuition was fully paid either out of pocket or by other means (except by a scholarship), UVI will issue financial credits.
- UVI will award a Residence Hall Scholarship that will provide free accommodations for one year. The scholarship is available to full time undergraduate students presently vaccinated or who opt to get vaccinated.
- UVI will grant a $500 Technology Award to all enrolled students and the opportunity to apply for additional financial support if students are facing compelling financial challenges.
- UVI will utilize funding to enhance student life and activities related to health and wellness on both campuses.